Wednesday, March 25, 2020




🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢

I struggled for days to decide how I would write this particular blog. So many things have unfolded in the last few weeks that it is mind-blowing, to say the least. I am an international student in my second year of doctoral studies in the US. To date, it has been a whirlwind sort of experience, battling the initial impostor syndrome and then eventually coming to rhythm with other aspects of my intersecting identities within this new space. To deal with the difficult transition of being away from family, I depended on my love of music to see me through. So in 2018, I listened to an album from Agent Sasco, an artiste back home, and it literally gave me life. In many ways, I felt connected to my people, my culture, my own indomitable spirit as a Jamaican to overcome challenges. Agent Sasco’s album in particular, as well as others, kept me sane. This may seem an exaggeration to some, but I cannot overstate the healing impact of music. 

My friends know me as the one to randomly burst into song during our conversations, because usually there is a song that is so apt for the situation at hand. As the challenges varied along this doctoral journey, I continued to use music to help me, inspire me, encourage me (cue the onions, folks!) and even kick my butt (my anthem for about a month!) It has worked every time. Then came COVID-19 - the first pandemic in my lifetime. However, in 1918, there was another pandemic, the Spanish flu, which lasted for almost two years and claimed about 20 million lives worldwide. A big challenge at the time was the unwillingness of some leaders to quarantine workers who were deemed essential in their countries’ war time efforts. Science was also not as developed as it is now, so epidemiologists were without the technology to combat the microscopic organisms responsible for this highly infectious virus that claimed the lives of the young, the old and those in between.

So, what does music have to do with this? Well, once again, I have retreated to music to give me some sense of hope and control during this rather tumultuous time. My university moved to online teaching two weeks ago for the rest of the semester. My children are home from school in Jamaica and I am not there with them to lend support or to create that space for them to talk about how they are feeling. Additionally, I am not there to give the hugs of reassurance, kisses of care, the embrace that is unique between parent and child. Admittedly, it breaks my heart every day when I think that we are apart and while I struggle to convince myself that every little thing will be alright, I try to shield my children from the emerging anxiety. The irony is that we are more connected as a society and for that very reason, countries have been moving quickly to close their borders in a desperate attempt to “flatten the curve” of the spread of COVID-19. Globalization has once again made us realize that through our connectivity, we are also similarly vulnerable. Each person is being urged to stay home as epidemiologists and other personnel in the medical field scramble to make sense of the virus, and ways in which to tackle it effectively, so that we, in the global community, can be alright. 

I fought extremely hard during the first week of uncertainty to stay focused and continue my daily routine as if nothing were amiss. I perhaps made it to midweek before the panic started to approach. As the message of social distancing increased, so did the uncertainty. I also had to practice it in my own house as I had a family member who had recently returned from overseas. Music came to mind once again, and I found myself relying on old favorites to bring me some sense of ‘normalcy’ (whatever that is now). I found myself participating in a thirty-day music challenge (let’s not talk about all the challenges that have emerged!) with a friend I have in Japan. It has been a great distraction for me but also an opportunity to share musical tastes daily. My husband, my Steady Love, has also been a massive part of how my musical tastes have evolved over the last several years and that causes me great joy! I made a deliberate attempt to avoid the news but realize how important it is to stay connected and informed – so now I curate my social media space very carefully. 

John Lennon wrote the iconic song Imagine in 1971 and I remain haunted by the words of the song which talks about humanity, focusing on the best parts of who we are, sharing love, peace and kindness rather than those elements that divide and separate. He articulates being labelled a dreamer for having those thoughts but confirms that, “I’m not the only one”. Subsequent to that, Leonard Cohen penned the song Hallelujah after multiple iterations (more than 50 versions!). The thrust of his song was acknowledging that even in the midst of the most trying circumstances, we are not broken; there is enough life in us to utter joy, bounce back, be resilient. As we are in the midst of this uncertainty, there are images of hope daily that remind us that we still have much to offer each other. As we practice social distancing in our individual parts of the globe, there is no longer the need to believe that we are alone in this fight against COVID-19 and I am certain there will be another song for generations to come that will highlight how we fought collectively to make the gains we did over a pandemic that threatened to stop us in our tracks. We are learning to tap more deeply and consistently into our creativity, reconnect with friends and family, to rediscover old passions long laid dormant in the busyness of life. So, I ask you, what music is keeping you balanced, stable and hopeful that every little thing is gonna be alright?

🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢

Kadia Hylton-Fraser
Lehigh University






27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite interesting reading and food for thought!!! My song is “It is well with my soul”- written by Horatio Spafford - after losing his four daughters, tragically. This is a song of HOPE - in the midst of the (temporary) challenges and difficulties in life . ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song as well but also How Great Thou Art. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Every little thing is gonna be alright" is a timely reminder of the faith we should have during these trying times, when said faith (or lack thereof) is being put to the test.

    My three year old son's favourite song for this season is "Paise n Worship", "In Jesus Name" by Israel Houghton. I don't get a chance to entertain any other as he is always drumming and singing along to ""Paise n Worship".

    Gwaan hol' a positive medz wid di music, Kadia!! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kadia, I feel your article, music can be such a soother. I was listening to Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", and I tell you, with all this "insanity" and everyone being scared, the way how this song was composed and delivered, really helped me not to be caught up in the excitement.

    Let's be that bridge over our friend's, family's, coworker's, neighbour's troubled waters in this time.

    Nice article mami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you should mention Simon & Garfunkel because I was also listening to Sounds of Silence as a contender for the article. The reality is that different songs appeal to us for different reasons but there is no doubt that music soothes the soul.

      Delete
  5. Bless you Kadia for those heavenly inspired words! πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’™
    I'm so thankful for having met you!

    "You just call on me sista, when you need a hand
    We all need somebody to lean on
    I just might have a problem that you'll understand
    We all need somebody to lean on
    Lean on me, when you're not strong
    And I'll be your friend
    I'll help you carry on
    For it won't be long
    'Til I'm gonna need
    Somebody to lean on"

    #VirtualHugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior, thank you for sharing! Virtual hugs received and returned!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Kadia. Well, written piece, leading to deep reflection.

    Your story has hit home. Many times we try as best as possible to find coping mechanisms when we encounter situations that seem unbearable. Music is always my first option. Music transcends so many barriers.

    I wish for you all the very best my friend. May you continue to be inspired in your down moments. The covid-19 pandemic is proving that no man is really an island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KRC, you are such a special friend and I am happy to know this has resonated with you. Thanks for being a listening ear even when I wasn't ready to speak. Te amo, mon ami.

      Delete
  7. I am honestly very delighted that I took the time to read this post. It is quite profound and uplifting; the sort of message that is a breath of fresh air in a time such as this. Thank you for sharing πŸ’•
    After reading this post I was trying to search through the records in my mind to find a song which truly reflects how I feel and which gives me hope, these words came to mind:
    "We need to get back
    To the basics of life
    A heart that is pure
    And a love that is blind
    A faith that is fervently grounded in Christ
    The hope that endures for all times
    These are the basics, we need to get back
    To the basics of life..."
    ~ 4HIM-Basics of Life

    These words are from a gospel song I pulled out from the "oldies but goodies" section ☺
    It is apparent to me that coping with COVID-19 has truly encouraged us to "get back to the basics of life" in most aspects of our existence. This crisis has emphasised the necessity of good hygiene, the development of and commitment to a healthy lifestyle, regular connection with loved ones, being our brothers' and sisters' keeper and most importantly, the assuring power of faith in God. Yup, pretty basic stuff that many of us possibly struggled to keep up with in the hustle and bustle of life.

    Also, let us remember this promise found in 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV), For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. This is one of the verses that have given me great peace.
    Keep safe everyone and may the Lord be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kadia for your insightful and inspiring post.Music really does have the power to heal,inspire and strengthen and unify people especially when we are facing a crisis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I hope music is helping you as well.

      Delete
  9. I so appreciate your depth and insights, Kadia, as well as your reminder of how grounding music can be. Dave Matthews Band's "Mercy" is a song I am associating most with this time (and I was delighted when he played it on a special live stream tonight!). Here are some of the lyrics:

    Singing mercy will we overcome this
    Oh one by one could we turn it around
    Maybe carry on just a little bit longer
    And I try to give you what you need
    Me and you and you and you
    Just want to be free yeah
    But you see all the world is just as we've made it
    And until we got a new world
    Got to say that love is not a whisper or a weakness
    No love is strong
    So we got to get together yeah
    Gotta get gotta get gotta get
    Til there is no reason
    To fight

    Keep writing and sharing, my friend!! �� -Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Megan, you are too awesome for words. Thank you for sharing but also thanks to you and Elise for your support in putting this blog together. #Tukey

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Kadia. I was particulary drawn to the aspect of the blog that addressed the issue of globalisation. Certainly, this pandemic has proven that we are so intimately interconnected; even so much more than we thought. No longer can we say all the way in China or England as the truth is we are all functioning in a small community. Our actions therefore impact all and so we must ensure that we protect each other. Looking forward to more insightful and informative pieces from you Kadie Catz (smiles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil!!!!! Thanks for your thoughts and kind words. You are so right about that piece about us functioning in a small community and the importance of the impact of our individual actions on the collective.

      Delete
  12. I love the reference to your husband Steady Love. India Arie is one of my favourite artists and this is one of my favourite songs. Im glad you can turn to music to help you in these times. Great writing Kadia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kadia for your blog. As a mother and educator, I understand how you feel not being around your children especially af this time. Now, they need that closeness to Mommy. Now that they are being homeschooleed, they need that reminder to stay on task. Since COVID-19, someone shared a song in one of many watsapp groups that has been my prayer since. I now share the words with you. Be blessed and I am confident that God will cover you and family especially at this time.


    Peace of God... Cover me
    Cover me... Cover me...
    Peace of God. Cover me...
    Through the Storm. Cover me.
    Only in You I am safe
    Only in You I'm secure
    Only in You I find peace
    So Cover me... Cover me...
    Cover me when I am hurting
    Cover me when I'm not strong
    Cover me when I am going through
    The Storm...
    Cover me when all seems hopeless
    Cover me when my faith is gone
    Let the Peace that passes all I understand
    Cover Me... Cover Me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia. Thank you for sharing. I trust that you and family are also doing well. Sharing this blog has really helped me as it is helping others. Keep safe, querida.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for your thoughts cuz! Sending you prayers for safety!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Demetri. Love to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a pleasure to read this blog. I am so proud of you. I am blessed to know that a great mind like you once taught me. !Que Dios te bendiga! My music is " Be still and know that I am God" by Travis Greene. God is in control and will bring us through this.

    ReplyDelete

COVID19 and Educational Change?

It is 8:00 on a Monday Morning. I am awake in a quiet house making a cup of tea. My husband is off to work as an essential employee. I chec...